Ensuring that your life is of higher quality becomes easier when you stay physically and mentally fit and active. Attaining holistic happiness requires you to get rid of all those activities that do not contribute to your overall growth anyway. Nowadays, many individuals suffer from mental health problems. Even the best psychologist agrees that more patients with OCD visit clinics these days.
OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and those who have this issue find living a happy, healthy life very difficult. Individuals with this particular disorder experience unwanted, recurring thoughts, obsessions, sensations or ideas. OCD compels people to do a specific task or various activities repetitively.
The repetitive behaviours interfere with social interactions and everyday activities of a person. People with severe OCD experience intrusive and persistent thoughts, and they usually behave in a very rigid, stubborn manner. Such people find it challenging to get rid of obsessive thoughts or restrain them from taking compulsive actions. So, they have to rely on the best OCD psychologist.
Keep reading to learn about the primary symptoms of OCD and how to overcome them effectively.
Main Symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a lifelong psychological condition. The main symptoms of it are extreme compulsions and obsessions. However, the symptoms do not bother an individual constantly. They come and go from time to time. One cannot function properly in one’s daily life and perform in a productive or efficient manner because of OCD symptoms.
Despite knowing that the thoughts are distressing and affecting their quality of life, one is helpless as they cannot do anything on their own to get rid of these problematic symptoms. The symptoms ease as well as aggravate over time. It is prudent to see a renowned psychologist Dr. Dipti Yadav, if you or a dear one experienced OCD symptoms.
Obsession-related Symptoms in OCD
One can’t help when obsession-specific symptoms bother them. Getting anxious is common among people with OCD. They are unable to control disturbing mental images or intrusive, irrational thoughts. Here are some examples.
Many OCD patients fear that they might cause harm to themselves if they do not act carefully or whenever they behave violently.
- Many fear coming in close contact with dirt, germs or other contaminated substances
- The fear of making faults or mistakes is common among OCD patients
- They constantly seek reassurance and feel doubtful before making a move
- They try to achieve perfection, neatness or symmetry in whatever they do
Compulsion-specific symptoms in OCD
Repetitive actions are regarded as compulsions in individuals with OCD. They are compelled to act in a manner time and again as they want to ease or keep their obsessions at bay. Their compulsive behaviours do not give them pleasure at all. Therefore, they resort to visiting the best psychologist.
Compulsions affect an individual’s important activities to a significant extent as they take substantial time and are valueless. These people perform or act in a strange manner so that their anxiety does not worsen. Here are some compulsion-related symptoms.
- Arrangement of various items in a particular way without any logic
- Cleaning, washing, bathing, mopping, etc., repetitively
- Securing products with zero financial or utility value
- Checking doors, locks, and switches time and again
- Making sure constantly whether they have caused harm to someone
What are the Main Causes of OCD?
- Changes in the frontal cortex, as well as subcortical structures of the brain
- OCD is considered a genetic-related disorder
- PANDAS syndrome
- Often, childhood trauma leads to OCD
What are the Most Effective Treatments for OCD?
The most typical yet effective treatment to alleviate OCD is psychotherapy. Consulting a well-known OCD psychologist is imperative before taking any action. Often, people with OCD take specific medication and undergo talk therapy. Individuals can deal with OCD better if they do not delay opting for one of the effective OCD treatment plans.
Psychotherapy is talk therapy, which includes various techniques that help an individual get over OCD symptoms effectively. Here are some efficacious types of psychotherapy.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy helps change distressing thoughts and prevents patients from continuing their negative habits.
- Exposure and response prevention helps OCD patients realise that their anxious, illogical thoughts aren’t reality.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy can enable a person with OCD to learn the best way to consider obsessive thoughts as plain thoughts.
Apart from the ones mentioned above, people with OCD can lead a more meaningful and happy life if they practice meditation, yoga and other mindfulness techniques on a daily basis. You must visit WELLBEING HELP and get in touch with Dr. Dipti Yadav without putting things off if you or a dear one has OCD.
The author is a very accomplished psychologist with a specialization in OCD treatment. The sole objective of the author is to help people get over OCD and start living a holistically happy life. Talk therapy can help people with OCD heal quickly and effectively. Proper counselling can help everyone with mental health disorders recover and live a positive life.